What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's Sausage and Pepper Meatballs
Chef Peter Damiano, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make sausage and pepper meatballs.
• 1 lb. ground sausage
• ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
• 2 eggs
• 1 green bell pepper (½ chopped, ½ sliced)
• 1 red bell pepper (½ chopped, ½ sliced)
• 1 yellow bell pepper (½ chopped, ½ sliced)
• 1 medium Spanish onion (½ chopped, ½ sliced)
• 2 gloves garlic chopped
• ¼ cup white wine
• ¼ cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• ¼ cup canola oil
• 1 TBS chopped parsley
• 1 TBS salt
• 1 Tsp black pepper
• Pecorino Romano for garnish
1. Place ground sausage, eggs, breadcrumbs, ½ the garlic, chopped peppers and onions into a bowl and mix.
2. Pre-heat a medium frying pan on medium high heat, add canola oil.
3. Portion balls, roll them and pan fry them at until golden brown on the outside.
4. Place fried balls onto a sheet tray and place in a 350F oven for 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145F.
5. Preheat a large sauté on high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, sliced onions, salt and pepper.
6. After 1 minute add remaining chopped garlic and sliced peppers. Sautee for 5 minutes.
7. Add white wine. Sautee another 4-5 minutes. Peppers should be soft.
Once peppers are finished, placed cooked meatballs into pepper mix and toss.
8. Garnish with shaved Pecorino and chopped parsley.