Asbestos deals 2nd blow to residents displaced by Central Islip fire

Some residents say they can't go back into their homes at the Plymouth Village apartments because of asbestos.

News 12 Staff

Jun 19, 2019, 11:22 PM

Updated 1,831 days ago

Share:

First a fire displaced them from their homes in Central Islip, and now some residents of the Plymouth Village apartments say they can't get their belongings because of asbestos.
A fire tore through part of the complex on March 14. Many of the residents were displaced, but some say their apartments were not affected so they want to get their belongings. They say following an investigation they were allowed back into their apartments one time to get clothes and necessary items, but since then have not been allowed back.
The residents say they were told they can't get inside because asbestos was found in the building and all of their belongings had to be thrown out.
The residents tell News 12 they believe this is happening to them only because of where they live.
"I think that I'm just being lied to and dismissed because it's Central Islip," says Edward Murray. "You live in Central Islip, just be quiet and keep paying your maintenance by the way and we'll get to it when we get to it."
The commissioner of Public Safety tells News 12 there was extensive fire damage to the building and that the management company was told about the asbestos back in April.
The management company has not responded to calls or emails from News 12.


More from News 12