What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's eggplant meatballs
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make meatless eggplant meatballs.
• 2 large eggplant
• 1 Tbs salt
• 2 tsp black pepper
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 bunch parsley chopped
• 3 large eggs
• ½ cup Pecorino Romano
• ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
• 1 Tbs chopped garlic
• ¼ cup flour
• 2 cups neutral oil
1. Peel and dice 1 eggplant.
2. Cut second eggplant in half lengthwise.
3. Toss with extra virgin olive oil salt and pepper.
4. Place on a parchment papered sheet tray and place halved eggplant flesh side down.
5. Place eggplant into a pre-heated 375F oven for 15-20 minutes or until halved eggplant is soft. If diced eggplant begins to brown before halved eggplant is soft, remove diced eggplant and wait for halved eggplant to get soft.
6. Place cooked eggplant into a large mixing bowl. Remove skin from halved eggplant and mash flesh with a fork until smooth.
7. Mix eggplant with parsley, eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs.
8. Roll into 2-3 oz balls.
9. Toss rolled bowls in flour until completely coated.
10. Preheat a large frying pan with neutral oil on medium high heat.
11. Gently place eggplant meatballs in oil and move around until fully browned.
12. Place fried balls onto parchment lined sheet tray and finish in 350*F oven for 10-12 minutes
13. Serve with Uncle Giuseppe’s Marinara Sauce, Pecorino Romano and chopped parsley.