What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's prime rib roast
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make prime rib roast.
1- 10-pound prime rib, roast
½ -cup Chopped Garlic
3 -tbsp Chopped Rosemary
3 -tbsp Chopped Thyme
½ -cup Whole Grain Dijon mustard
2 -tbsp Kosher salt
¼ - cup Cracked Peppercorns
Directions - Before Roasting:
1. Place the roast on your cutting board.
2. Turn the roast so that one of the narrow ends is pointing toward you. Cut the ribs away from the flesh with a long stroke of your boning knife, keeping the blade angled slightly toward the bones and away from the meat.
3. Do not cut away the entire slab of ribs. Leave the bones attached to the roast at the bottom of the rib bones with approximately one to two inches of meat.
4. Season the cut side of the roast with salt, pepper and chopped garlic
5. Close the roast up and tie in between the bones creating a seal.
Directions - Roasting:
1) In a small bowl mix together the mustard, herbs salt and pepper.
2) Season the roast with the herb and mustard mixture, making sure to rub the entire roast.
3) Preheat the oven to 400°.
4) Cook for 30 minutes, or until the meat is well browned. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and continue to Roast for about 2 1/2 hours, until an instant-read thermometer reads 115°;
5) Carve the roast and serve with the pan jus.