Police, veterinary workers save dog’s life after ball gets lodged in its throat
A group of Suffolk police officers and veterinary workers are being praised for saving the life of a 1-year-old puppy.
Police say the dog, Kody, had a lacrosse ball lodged in his throat and was losing consciousness. The police rushed him to West Hills animal hospital in a police cruiser. The veterinarians were able to save Kody’s life.
“He very quickly lost oxygen and passed out,” said Achim Kretschmer, Kody's owner. “What goes through your mind? How am I going to tell my son his puppy died? He's only a year old.”
Kretschmer told News 12 he gave Kody rescue breaths through the snout while his wife called 911.
Kret added Kody is back home and life is back to normal.