Nassau fire marshal: 2 people hospitalized for pesticide exposure at Hempstead apartment building

The fire marshal says the building's superintendent was spraying for bugs in the compactor room around 7 p.m. Wednesday when the fumes went up the garbage chute and into apartments.

News 12 Staff

Dec 14, 2023, 3:44 AM

Updated 223 days ago

Share:

Two people went sent to the hospital for pesticide exposure at a Hempstead apartment building, according to the Nassau County fire marshal.
The fire marshal says the building's superintendent was spraying for bugs in the compactor room around 7 p.m. Wednesday when the fumes went up the garbage chute and into apartments.
Twelve people were also treated at the scene.
The superintendent is charged with a misdemeanor. He faces up to a $1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.


More from News 12