Mercury vapor shuts down Miller Place HS gym

Parents received an email about a possible situation concerning detectable levels of mercury vapor found inside Miller Place High School.

News 12 Staff

Apr 29, 2019, 10:53 AM

Updated 1,852 days ago

Share:

Parents received an email about a possible situation concerning detectable levels of mercury vapor found inside Miller Place High School.
District officials say they were made aware of it after testing the air in the gymnasium last Thursday. They believe the original synthetic floors used in the gym when the high school was built in the 1970s may be the cause of the vapor.
The gym has been closed until further notice. A plan of action will be based on the results of additional testing.
Other areas of the high school were tested, but detectable levels of mercury vapor were found only in the gym.
Adrienne Esposito, of Citizens Campaign for the Environment, says mercury vapor can be highly toxic and may cause anxiety, memory loss, confusion, tremors, blood pressure changes and more.


More from News 12