What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's zucchini fritters
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make zucchini fritters.
• 3 large zucchini shredded in a box grater
• 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced
• 2 cloves of garlic minced
• 2 cup fresh ricotta cheese divided
• 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
• 2 eggs.
• ¼ cup flour
• Zest of 2 lemons divided
• 2 TBS Mike's Hot Honey
• 1 TBS Kosher salt divided
• Cracked black pepper
• ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil.
1. In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together shredded zucchini, scallions, garlic, zest of 1 lemon, season with half the salt and black pepper.
2. Add in 1 cup ricotta cheese, Pecorino Romano, eggs and flour.
3. In a separate bowl mix together remaining ricotta, zest of 1 lemon, Mike's Hot Honey, remaining salt and cracked black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
4. Pre-heat a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add olive oil to pan.
5. Using a large spoon, scoop zucchini mix and carefully add to hot pan.
6. Allow fritters to fry for 2-3 minutes before flipping and cooking the other side for an additional 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Place cooked fritters on a cooling rack and allow to set for 10 minutes.
8. To plate, spread seasoned ricotta mix on plate.
9. Place Zucchini Fritters on top of ricotta.