What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's Sicilian heirloom pasta
• 1 lb loose ground sweet sausage
• 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes, rough chop
• 1 medium shallot, rough chop
• 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 cup white wine
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tbs
• 1 tbs unsalted butter
• 1 lb Casarecce pasta
• 2 tbs grated Pecorino Romano
• 1 oz Pistachio chopped
• 1 tsp Kosher Salt
• ½ tsp Black Pepper
1. Place loose sausage on a papered sheet tray. Break up sausage. Drizzle with 1 Tbs oil. Place in a preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes.
2. Rough chop Heirloom Tomatoes.
3. Place olive oil into a large sauté pan on medium high heat.
4. Add shallots and garlic to pan. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add chopped tomatoes to pan. Sauté for 5-6 minutes or until tomatoes begin to break down.
6. Add white wine and butter, continue to stir until you have a smooth consistency about 15 minutes.
7. Cook pasta in heavily salted water and place in large mixing bowl, do not cool pasta.
8. Place cooked pasta in a large mixing bowl and add Heirloom sauce.
9. Add cooked crumbled sausage to bowl.
10. Add Pecorino Romano to bowl and mix well.
11. Place pasta onto plate.
12. Garnish pasta with remaining Pecorino Romano and chopped pistachios.