What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's carbonara cappelinni cakes
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make carbonara cappelinni cakes.
4 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
2 cups pecorino
½ lbs. guanciale cubed.
2 cups shredded mozzarella.
2 cups pasta water
2 cups flour (for breading)
3 eggs (beaten for breading)
2 cups Panko (for breading)
2tbs. parsley (chopped)
1qt. oil (for frying)
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the capellini.
2. In a sauté pan on medium heat proceed to cook guanciale until the fat has rendered and the guanciale is crispy,
3. In a bowl add egg yolks and whole eggs and beat vigorously.
4. Add the pecorino and continue to whisk. It should resemble a thick paste.
5. Add the pasta water a ½ cup at a time.
6. Add half the rendered fat and all the guanciale.
7. Once pasta is cooked add to bowl and mix.
8. Add the shredded mozzarella and mix until all are incorporated.
9. Add the contents of bowl to a wax paper lined sheet pan.
10. Set aside and let fully cool.
11. Once the mixture is fully cooled proceed to cut small triangles.
12. Begin to bread each triangle with first flour than egg then panko and set aside.
13. In a small pot heat oil to 350 degrees and proceed to fry by placing each triangle into oil.
14. Cook until golden brown and garnish with pecorino and parsley.