Spooky surge powers off Bellmore homes

Residents of one street in Bellmore said a power surge played tricks on their homes and destroyed their appliances Monday. Farmers Avenue residents reported seeing sparks flying from wall outlets, smoke

News 12 Staff

Sep 24, 2007, 11:18 PM

Updated 6,144 days ago

Share:

Residents of one street in Bellmore said a power surge played tricks on their homes and destroyed their appliances Monday.
Farmers Avenue residents reported seeing sparks flying from wall outlets, smoke coming out of television sets and other electronic items turning on and off. Some said they heard loud noises, and one person said her stereo turned on by itself.
The Long Island Power Authority said a connection failure caused the problem, which occurred around 10 a.m. LIPA said an investigation has been launched, though it is unsure how long the probe will take to complete.
Residents who contacted the electric company said they received no guarantees of compensation for broken appliances. If the investigation's results place the blame on LIPA, power authority representatives said there is a claim form available for residents to submit.
Pat Siegler, who lives on Farmers Avenue, said this is not the first time a power surge has hit his block. Siegler said approximately $8,400 worth of his appliances and electronics were broken by an electrical irregularity in October 2006.


More from News 12