Officials: Row of Great Neck businesses destroyed by fire

Several Great Neck store owners are picking up the pieces today, after a Thursday fire tore through and destroyed the storefronts.
"It burned down everything, so this morning I came to get some of my products and my stuff," said the owner of Miu Miu Eyelash Extension Friday morning as he walked in for the first time.

The owner didn't have the opportunity many surrounding businesses have had in recent days and weeks to reopen after months of being closed. Now, he doesn't know if he ever will.
His was one of four storefronts destroyed in what appears to be an accidental fire. Cuttermill Mailroom, Yana Ballet Dance School and Laverne of Great Neck on Cutter Mill Road were the other three businesses.

"Shocking, just shocking," said Great Neck resident Alfred Goldburg as he passed by on his run.

Many other Great Neck residents shared in his shock as they passed by on their way to work.

"Horrible, horrible. You don't think stuff like this would happen in your neighborhood, but they do," said Ebi Victory.

The Village of Great Neck had to put up additional barriers to keep the crowds of people trying to take photos back.

Norman Brock lives down the road from the Cutter Mill Road businesses. He said he returned this morning after getting stuck in traffic nearby yesterday for two hours as firefighters from 20 different stations assisted in putting out the flames.

The Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office confirmed the roof was a challenge because of the way it was designed. It took them over two hours to get it under control. In that time, seven firefighters suffered from heat-related illness. Three were transported to the hospital for further observation and have since recovered.

As the owner of Miu Miu Eyelash Extensions sorted through his belongings, he tried to stay upbeat.

"Hopefully I can, the landlord said he'd fix it as soon as possible—I can reopen my business," he said.



undefined