Officials: 9 people escape fire that started in Brentwood basement

Officials say one child was transported to a hospital due to high carbon monoxide levels in the blood. The family told News 12 that the child has since been released and is doing well.

News 12 Staff

Oct 2, 2023, 10:29 AM

Updated 204 days ago

Share:

Officials say a fire ripped through a home in Brentwood and nine people were inside at the time.
Officials say one child was transported to a hospital due to high carbon monoxide levels in the blood. The family told News 12 that the child was released and is doing well.
They added that two firefighters were evaluated at the scene but not transported.
Reyna Castillo, who lives next door to the destroyed home, saw the flames.
"We ran out of the house. I didn’t know what to do or if I should leave anything, but the house caught fire so fast, and it looked like it was going to light up our house, too.”
Officials say the fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery.
Nassau County Chief Fire Marshal Michael Uttaro says those kinds of batteries are generally safe, but when they do catch fire, it is hard to get under control.
He urges people to charge their devices during the day and not to use any off-market products to charge them.
The Red Cross has been notified about the residents. The house is uninhabitable.


More from News 12