DEC investigation finds contractors improperly applied rat pesticide at Northport Village Park
Some Suffolk County pet owners say they were stunned to learn that a dangerous rat pesticide was used at Northport Village Park.
One dog owner filmed an exchange with workers contracted by the village. In it, one of the workers says they are using a "rodenticide dust called Ditrac."
The other contractor in the video tells the person taking the video that "it's all very safe."
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Ditrac is extremely toxic and is dangerous to human and domestic animals.
Animal behaviorist Gia Savocchi says her friend sent her the video, and she immediately called the state Department of Environmental Conservation.
"They launched an immediate investigation," Savocchi says
The DEC told News 12 its investigation found that the pesticide was applied improperly.
They say it was buried in several spots in the park when the product is supposed to be used indoors and around buildings.
In a statement to News 12, the DEC says its police unit made the contractor hired by the village remove the pesticide and surrounding soil and properly dispose of it.
The DEC also says it issued two notices of violation for applying pesticide other than as the label directs.
Savocchi says this is important to her and other pet owners in the area.
"This is like party central for dogs, you know, there's hundreds of dogs that get walked here all the time," Savocchi says.
Northport Deputy Mayor Joe Sabia tells News 12 since the DEC had the contractor remove the improperly applied pesticide, he believes that there is no safety risk.