STORM WATCH

Severe storms are rounding out Memorial Day weather. Heavy rain, strong winds, hail all possible.

6 charged in Islip dumping scandal

Six people were criminally charged Monday for their alleged roles in a scandal that involved the dumping of toxic material at several sites in Islip, including a children's park and a housing development

News 12 Staff

Dec 9, 2014, 4:11 AM

Updated 3,457 days ago

Share:

6 charged in Islip dumping scandal
Six people were criminally charged Monday for their alleged roles in a scandal that involved the dumping of toxic material at several sites in Islip, including a children's park and a housing development for veterans.
Formally charged were former Islip Town Parks Commissioner Joseph Montuori and his former executive secretary, Brett Robinson; Christopher Grabe, of Islandia Recycling; Ronald Cianciuli, of Atlas Asphalt, a Deer Park paving company; and businessmen Thomas Datre, and his son, Tom Datre Jr.
The six men were named in a 32-count indictment, and four businesses connected to the Datre family were also charged. The charges range from conspiracy to violations of state environmental law.
As News 12 has reported, dangerous toxins were first found at Roberto Clemente Park in Brentwood earlier this year. Similar toxins then turned up at a vacant lot in Central Islip, a state-protected wetlands area in Deer Park and a housing development in Islandia designed specifically for veterans.
According to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office, dozens of trucks picked up the demolition debris over the course of a year, primarily from New York City, and then dumped the contaminated fill at the four locations. Prosecutors estimate that 1,700 to 1,800 truckloads were dumped among each of the sites.
Prosecutors allege that Tom Datre Jr. was the mastermind of the operation as the owner of the trucking companies involved. His father, Thomas Datre Sr., was in charge of building the veterans' homes and allegedly allowed his son to bring in the hazardous fill.
Kevin Kearon, defense attorney for the Datre family, said that any allegation that his clients knew about the illegal dumping is a "vile, repugnant and demonstrable lie." He issued a statement that said in part, "We reject every single charge in today's indictment as untrue or otherwise non-criminal."
All six suspects were released on their own recognizance and are due back in court on Jan. 8.


More from News 12