5 hospitalized after carbon monoxide scare in Suffolk

Five people were rushed to the hospital after a carbon monoxide scare in Brentwood.Officials say it occurred at a home on Bergen Street shortly after midnight Tuesday. Residents in the home say the oil burner backed up, causing smoke and the smell of fire to fill the residence. Some residents woke up and managed to alert others who were still sleeping.According to officials, the five people, including a child, were taken for observation after they exhibited symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials say the home had three separate apartments with about nine people living there. Residents say the house does not have carbon monoxide detectors.According to residents, the same exact problem occurred last year and it is possible that the landlord did not make the necessary repairs.
The Town of Islip says the home was illegally converted. The landlord has been issued five violations from the town in the latest incident and two from the state. Back in October, the landlord was fined $500 for housing violations. He was issued another round of violations and will be back before a judge in a few weeks.