Taxing Long Island
News12 New York
Download the App
Where to Watch
Local
Crime
Weather
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
Stony Brook Medicine
LIRR Strike

'I could wake up dead.' City announces $2.17M judgement against South Bronx landlord

Mayor Mamdani announced a first of-its-kind ruling in a case against the owners of 919 Prospect Ave. The ruling imposes the maximum penalties under the New York City's Nuisance Abatement Law.

Heather Fordham

Mar 13, 2026, 6:08 AM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

A victory for tenants living in a South Bronx apartment building that has been plagued by neglectful conditions for decades.

Mayor Mamdani announced a first of-its-kind ruling in a case against the owners of 919 Prospect Avenue.

"There has been an order that the owner pay $1,000 a day in penalties for violations dating back to April 21, 2019, totaling more than $2.1 million so far, with fines continuing to accrue if violations do not accrue as ordered by the court," the mayor said.

The ruling imposes the maximum penalties under the New York City's Nuisance Abatement Law.

"It's not possible for me to live this way," said Gloria who is a tenant at 919 Prospect Ave.

Gloria says she has suffered through the winter with out heat, relying on space heaters that have fried her electrical outlets. Her windows are boarded up with Styrofoam, installation, blankets, card boxes and duct tape to keep the chill out.

"It's dangerous, I could wake up dead," Gloria said.

Mamdani and the city's legal team is stepping in to help the tenants. Their building has racked up more than 1,100 complaints over the last two years according to city records under the ownership of Seth Miller.

Miller is ranked on the city's top 100 worst landlords list released by the public advocate.

"With the resources that the mayor has given us, we are not going to rest until this landlord is held accountable," said Steven Banks, NYC Corporation Counsel.

Miller did not respond to us about the lawsuits or other pending cases he is facing. The city has set aside $75M in their preliminary budget to hire 100 more attorneys and 200 additional support staff to go after landlords like Miller.

"I want this legal decision to put other bad landlords across our city on notice, if you do not change your ways, we now have a strong precedent to pursue the same kind of legal action against you," the mayor said.

Tenants Maria Rodriguez says she has lived in discomfort and neglect for years, and the goal is simple.

"We just want the basic stuff, just what we are supposed to get as a tenant," said Rodriguez.

More Stories

Top Stories

01:26
LIRR Strike

LIVE LIRR UPDATES: MTA starts running commuter shuttle buses as LIRR strike enters Day 3

02:41
WEB LI P1AM TODAY

Heat Alert: It will feel like summer as parts of Long Island reach the 90s

04:13
low res strike

LIRR strike in effect: How to navigate your commute

00:27
drowning

Teen drowns while swimming with friends off Shelter Island

01:53
518madeonlongisland_2026-05-18-06-18-16

Made on Long Island: The Gluten Free Treat Shop

00:20
SUV

Police search for driver who hit jogger in Sayville, drove off

00:25
statue

Hate Crimes Unit investigating damaged Jesus statue at a Suffolk church

00:45
Screenshot 2026-05-17 053537

Man charged with murder in death of Bellport woman found unresponsive at Speedway gas station

00:19
LIOverdoseArrest_2026-05-17-06-24-32

Hempstead man arrested during police investigation into fatal overdose

02:12
nwesink

Lanes reopen as crews work to repair sinkhole on LIE in Melville

SEXUAL ABUSE ARREST MONITOR copy

USPS employee from Moriches accused of sexually abusing 15-year-old inside vehicle

00:20
LI_10PM_Tunnels Amtrak_ajc_2026-05-15-22-14-16

Amtrak says Penn Station service expected to resume as crews repair fire damage near terminal

01:38
li5pmbol2026loganportwashington_2026-05-15-17-33-10

Exclusive: Bullet from police chase strikes Port Washington woman's car

00:31
516farmingdale_2026-05-16-12-37-52

LIRR strike complicates finals week travel plans for Farmingdale State College students

SyossetBurglaryTN

Queens man accused of stealing more than $200K worth of items from Syosset home

news12

Connecticut Department of Health urges shellfish safety from imported products amid hepatitis A investigation

Harvey Weinstein

Harvey Weinstein rape retrial ends in mistrial as jury deadlocks

00:22
GRAND LARCENY police Monitor copy

Bellport man accused of spending over $260K stolen from employer on Onlyfans

00:28
515resentencing_2026-05-15-12-09-42

Ex-Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano to be resentenced for corruption case in July

01:40
515LIcoffee_2026-05-15-12-14-26

Local coffee shop brews community in Amityville

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices