Taxing Long Island
News12 New York
Download the App
Where to Watch
Local
Crime
Weather
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
Stony Brook Medicine
LIRR Strike

Trump administration says SNAP will be partially funded after judges’ rulings

The U.S. Department of Agriculture said it would not continue the funding in November due to the government shutdown.

Associated Press

Nov 3, 2025, 12:30 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

President Donald Trump’s administration says it will partially fund the SNAP food aid program after a pair of judges’ rulings required the payments to continue. That means grocery aid will resume for 1 in 8 Americans, though it has been delayed for millions already and the amount beneficiaries receive will be reduced.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture said it would not continue the funding in November due to the government shutdown. Two federal judges ruled last week that the government was required to keep the program running. But both gave the administration leeway to pay for it entirely or partially. It can normally take up two weeks to load beneficiaries’ debit cards.

President Donald Trump’s administration said Monday that it will partially fund SNAP after a pair of judges’ rulings required it to keep the food aid program running.

It’s not clear how much beneficiaries will receive, nor how quickly beneficiaries will see value show up on the debit cards they use to buy groceries. The process of loading the cards, which involves steps by state and federal government agencies and vendors, can take up to two weeks in some states. The average monthly benefit is usually about $190 per person.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees the nation’s largest food program, said last month that benefits for November wouldn’t be paid out due to the federal government shutdown. That set off a scramble by food banks, state governments and the nearly 42 million Americans who receive the aid to find ways to ensure access to groceries.

Most states have boosted aid to food banks, and some are setting up systems to reload benefit cards with state taxpayer dollars.

It also spurred lawsuits.

Federal judges in Massachusetts and Rhode Island ruled separately but similarly Friday, telling the government that it was required to use one fund with about $5 billion to pay for the program, at least in part. The benefits and administration cost over $8 billion per month.

The judges gave the government the option to use additional money to fully fund the program and a deadline of Monday to decide.

Judge John J. McConnell Jr., in Providence, Rhode Island, said if the government chose full funding, it would need to make payments Monday. With a partial version, which would require recalculating benefits, the payment deadline is Wednesday.

Trump posted on social media soon after that he would abide by the rulings but didn’t explain how.

More Stories

Top Stories

00:33
Screenshot 2026-05-24 105330

One person seriously injured in DWI, speeding crash on Meadowbrook State Parkway

02:03
LIJS Alert StormWatch

STORM WATCH: Areas of fog and drizzle tonight ahead of improvements on Memorial Day

00:53
Screenshot 2026-05-24 174030

Rain impacts Memorial Day weekend plans

00:29
Screenshot 2026-05-24 130211

Nassau correction officer passes away at 35-years-old

AP26144405873510

Suspect dead after opening fire near White House security checkpoint, Secret Service says

alcohol

Owner of Riverhead restaurant arrested after town code investigation

01:56
li12pmbolunlawfulsurveillance_2026-05-23-12-03-54

Copiague man charged with unlawful surveillance of Rockville Centre massage therapy room

01:53
RTLIPeopleLosingInsuranceJRGaerner10pm_2026-05-23-22-14-07

Northwell Health and Fidelis Care attempt to negotiate insurance coverage agreement

00:29
523greatneckburglary_2026-05-23-06-05-40

Two accused of stealing handbags, alcohol and cash in Great Neck home burglary

00:54
li5pmrallyforrebecca_2026-05-23-17-14-03

Hundreds of people show up for Plainview rally in support of woman with paralysis

00:24
04beb911-95fc-42c5-9f57-010d6f5e133f

West Babylon man convicted of sexually abusing girl he babysat

02:01
Board Issues MS 052226_2026-05-22-22-04-54

Hempstead Schools appeals voting results and puts two workers on administrative leave

02:38
Abuse Folo MS 052226_2026-05-22-17-11-56

Court documents reveal disturbing details of alleged abuse prior to 7-year-old Bayport girl’s death

Jones Beach Event Rescheduled

Jones Beach drone show rescheduled due to weather

01:48
IMG 6977

Two women charged after police uncover alleged brothel in Dix Hills home

01:45
MDW Biz Impact MS 052226_2026-05-22-17-13-59

Rainy Memorial Day weekend threatens turnout at Long Island businesses

00:35
Screenshot 2026-05-22 175508

1 person dead, 30 injured following shipyard explosion on Staten Island

AP26141697300440

Trump administration rule to force foreigners in the US to apply for a green card abroad

LaGuardia

LaGuardia Airport runway reopens after sinkhole repairs causing severe delays

00:35
CW26-101 (1)

Emaciated dog found with mouth bound shut by rubber band in Port Jefferson Station

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices