What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's mussels Fra Diavolo
• 2 lbs mussels
• 1 qt Uncle Giuseppe’s Fra Diavolo sauce
• 6-8 cloves of garlic (sliced paper thin)
• ½ bunch parsley (fine chopped)
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• ½ cup white wine
• 2 sprigs of basil
• 1-2 TBS crushed red pepper flakes
• ½ TBS Kosher salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
1. Scrub mussels and remove all beards.
2. Preheat a very large sauté pan or very large Dutch Oven (if you don’t have a large pan, work in smaller batches and combine everything at the end) on medium high heat. Add olive oil.
3. Add sliced garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Do not allow garlic to burn.
4. Add white wine.
5. Add mussels, season with salt pepper and crushed red pepper. Cover pot or pan, allow mussels to steam for 4-5 minutes. If mussels do not open toss them, it wasn’t meant to be….
6. When mussels open add Fra Diavolo sauce. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
7. Garnish with chopped parsley and basil leaves.