What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's French/Italian onion grilled cheese
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make French/Italian onion grilled cheese.
3 large Vidalia onions thinly sliced
4 TBS unsalted butter (divided)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 TBS brown sugar
¼ bunch chopped chives separated (1/2 for the mix, ½ for the garnish)
1 tsp sea salt
Couple cracks of fresh black pepper
8-12oz Alta Badia Cheese (shredded)
4 slices Pan di Casa
For the caramelized onion:
1. Place a large sauté pan on medium heat.
2. Add 3 TBS butter and sliced onions.
3. Stir onions for 30-45 minutes constantly checking to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn. Once onions have picked up color and are very soft add chopped garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
4. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes, remove from heat, add ½ of the chopped chives and set aside.
For the grilled cheese sandwiches:
1. Butter 4 slices of bread, only one side of each slice.
2. Build sandwiches. Place handful of shredded cheese down on unbuttered side of bread.
3. Place 2 TBS of caramelized onions over cheese. Garnish with chopped chives.
4. Cover the onions with more cheese.
5. Place buttered bread over the cheese with the buttered side facing out.
6. Pre-heat a large skillet on medium high.
7. Place sandwich down on skillet. Using a spatula check often to make sure bread is not burning.
8. Once satisfied with the color of the bread, flip sandwich and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
9. Remove sandwich from heat, cut in half and garnish with chopped chives.