What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's eggplant caponata
Chef Giovanni Farruggio, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make eggplant caponata.
2 large Eggplants
2c diced Spanish onion
2c celery (cut in half moons)
½ c capers
1c Sicilian olives (pitted and broken in half)
3c olive oil
16oz marinara sauce
2c white wine vinegar
1. Cut Eggplant into large diced cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Add 1 ½ cups of oil, 1tbs of salt and toss until all of the eggplant is coated in oil.
3. Place the contents of the bowl on a paper lined sheet pan and roast at 350 deg for 30 mins.
4. In a large sauté pan, heat the remainder of the oil and add the celery and onion.
5. Cook the onion and celery for 3 -5 min. or until the onion is translucent.
6. Add the roasted eggplant and sauté for another 3-5 min.
7. Add the vinegar and sugar and stir it in well.
8. Add the marinara and let simmer for 5 min.
9. Remove from heat and add the capers and olives and stir them in well.
10. Cool and enjoy!