What’s Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace’s sausage and pepper heroes
Chef Giovanni Farruggio, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make carnival-style sausage and pepper heroes.
Carnival Style Sausage and Pepper hero
• 1 large cheese and parsley sausage ring
• 3 seeded semolina heroes
• 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 ½-inch bite-size pieces
• 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 ½-inch bite-size pieces
• 1 large red onion, cut into large bite-size pieces
• 3 tbs olive oil
• 1tbs oregano
• Salt and pepper
• 3 wooden skewers (presoaked in water)
1. Thread vegetables on presoaked wooden skewers, layering red and green peppers with red onions. Drizzle evenly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill skewers 8 to 10 minutes to tender-crisp, turning occasionally to char at edges and set aside.
3. On the same grill, add sausage and cook on both sides until the internal temp. reaches 165 deg
4. Cut into six-to-eight-inch pieces and set aside
5. Slice semolina bread lengthwise.
6. Drizzle the inside of bread with oil and season with salt, pepper and oregano.
7. Place pepper and onion skewer in bread and squeeze to pull out the wooden skewer leaving the pepper and onion in the bread.
8. Add three to four pieces of sausage per hero, cut in half and enjoy.