Tasty Tuesday: Healthy Thanksgiving appetizers and desserts
Looking for some healthy side dishes and desserts for your Thanksgiving feast?
News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen and Elisa DiStefano were joined by registered dietician Maria Mora with some healthy tips.
Wholesome Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins
● 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
● 1 cup milk (any type)
● ½ cup maple syrup
● ⅓ cup canned pumpkin puree
● ⅔ cup light brown sugar (packed)
● 1 cup all purpose flour
● ½ cup whole wheat flour
● 1 tps baking powder
● ½ tsp baking soda
● ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
● ½ tsp salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
Combine oats and milk in a large bowl. Add maple syrup, pumpkin puree, brown sugar and eggs. Stir in all purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Combine.
Spoon batter into muffin tins and bake for 18-25 minutes.
Let muffins cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Power Packed Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
● Yogurt ½ cup 2% plain greek yogurt (you can use any percent and can use
vanilla instead of plain yogurt)
● Pumpkin pie filling ¼ cup
● ¼ tsp Pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom)
● ¼ tsp Vanilla extract
● Almond butter 1 heaping tablespoon
● ½ cup milk (any type)
● Add 1tsp of honey or ¼ banana for extra sweetness
Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
Butternut Squash hummus with feta and pomegranate seeds (8 servings)
● 1 can chickpeas (15.5 oz)
● 1 cup roasted butternut squash
● 1.5 tbsp tahini
● 1 tbsp olive oil
● 1 cloves of garlic roasted
● ¼ tsp cumin
● 3 tbs Rose's Lime juice
● ¼ tsp salt
● ¼ tsp garlic powder
● ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
● 2 tbsp pomegranates
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Roast 1 cup of butternut squash for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Cool.
In food processor combine chickpeas, squash, tahini, oil, garlic, lime juice and spices.
Mix together until smooth.
Top with crumbled feta and pomegranate.
Serve with your favorite crackers.
Baked Apple and Pear Crumble.
● 4 medium/large ripe pears, peeled and sliced
● 3 medium/large apples, peeled and sliced
● ⅓ cup packed light or dark brown sugar
● ¼ cup all-purpose flour
● 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
● 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
● ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
● ¼ teaspoon salt
● ¾ cup all-purpose flour
● ½ cup packed light or dark brown sugar
● 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
● 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
● 1 cup (80g) old-fashioned whole oats
● 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan. Mix all of the filling ingredients together in a large bowl, then spread into the baking pan.
Make the topping: Whisk flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
Cut in the butter until the mixture becomes super crumbly. Stir in the oats. Sprinkle over filling.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.