Officials: Don't risk safety to keep warm amid deep freeze
Officials are urging Long Islanders not to risk safety to keep warm amid the recent burst of cold weather.
John Wolffe, at the Nassau County Firefighters Museum, says plug-in devices such as space heaters can be dangerous if used improperly.
He says it's a good idea to avoid using extension cords with space heaters, and to keep anything that could burn at least 3 feet away.
"Feel the wire to the appliance and the outlet it's plugged into to make sure it's not warm to the touch. If it's warm to the touch, discontinue using it," says Wolffe.
Experts say residents should only burn dry, seasoned firewood in fireplaces and make sure to have a sturdy screen or a glass door in front of the flame.