NIFA rejects Mangano's proposed budget plan
The Nassau Interim Finance Authority on Tuesday rejected County Executive Ed Mangano's proposed 2017 spending plan.
NIFA, the county's financial oversight authority, voted down the plan for the second year in a row, saying the nearly $3 billion proposal presented to its members was not balanced.
On Oct. 31, the Nassau Legislature approved a 2017 budget that included $77 million in projected revenue from new and increased fees. Those fees are the controversial public safety fees on certain traffic tickets. Earlier in the month, the Legislature voted to decrease that fee from $105 to $55. It was replaced with an amnesty program for businesses with unpaid property taxes.
Tuesday night, the board also passed a resolution requiring the county to fill the $36 million hole it says was created by the reduction of traffic fees with either new revenue or cuts.
NIFA's chairman says the county must make the appropriate modifications by the board's next meeting on Dec. 14. If it fails to do so, then NIFA will make the necessary cuts.