Massive flames engulf Selden funeral home
A raging fire broke out at a funeral home in Selden late Tuesday night.
The call for a fire at Giove Funeral Home on Middle Country Road came in just before 11 p.m. Tuesday.
Fire officials say everyone made it out of the funeral home safely.
The entire top of the funeral home is completely destroyed. It's currently unclear what started the fire.
One man who says he lives in the building says his two dogs saved his family from the fire.
"The dogs were barking crazy, we're all just in bed and watching TV ... it's amazing," says Marty Vernisie, who lives above the funeral home. "Didn't smell any kind of smoke. My daughter came out, she starting yelling for us, we saw the fire on the roof. Everybody just got out."
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family.
Brookhaven Councilman Michael Loguercio was at the scene Wednesday morning, offering support for the business that he says has been in the community for decades.
"It's so sad, you have a business that's been here for 55 years or more serving the community. And to see this, it's terrible ... if there's anything Councilman (Kevin) LaValle, myself, Brookhaven town can do, we are here to help."