Long Island Hidden Past: Canoe Place Inn
Abandoned but not forgotten! The Canoe Place Inn was once a Hampton Bays hotspot for the elite.
Today the community is working to save the building and its legacy.
Located near the Shinnecock Canal, its history began with native Long Islanders.
In the 1600s, records show that the inn was the only house in the wilderness between Riverhead and Southampton.
In the mid-1700s, it was a Stagecoach stop, and later, during the Revolutionary War, it was a British fort.
The building burned to the ground in 1921. The inn was quickly rebuilt and upscaled.
No one is sure how or when the glory years of the Canoe Place Inn ended, but those that remember its beauty hold on to hope that its legacy will save it.