STORM WATCH

Severe storms are rounding out Memorial Day weather. Heavy rain, strong winds, hail all possible.

Iraq War veteran, Holbrook native sues Iranian government over attack allegedly aided by Soleimani

An Iraq War veteran and Holbrook native is suing the Iranian government over an attack in which he lost both of his legs.

News 12 Staff

Jan 14, 2020, 12:36 AM

Updated 1,595 days ago

Share:

An Iraq War veteran and Holbrook native is suing the Iranian government over an attack in which he lost both of his legs.
Christopher Levi says he sees justice in the death of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani by a U.S. airstrike. Levi lost his legs to an improvised bomb called an E.F.P.
Levi and other American services members are suing Iran in an effort to prove the attacks that took their limbs and loved ones were aided by Soleimani's forces.
"It's not a surprise that a terrorist leader in the world had been taken out," he says.
Anti-government protests in Iran turned violent over the weekend, as security forces opened fire on demonstrators.
Protesters say they're outraged over Iran's accidental shootdown of a Ukrainian passenger plane that killed all 176 people on board.
Iranian government officials initially denied doing so, but later admitted the plane was shot down because it was mistaken for an incoming missile.
President Donald Trump, in the meantime, is facing pressure to provide more information about the imminent threat Soleimani allegedly posed to justify the U.S. airstrike that killed him.
Trump has defended the targeted killing of the Iranian general, saying he posed an imminent threat to the U.S. because he was plotting attacks on U.S. embassies.
U.S. Attorney General William Barr said the strike on Soleimani was aimed at stopping a "continuing upward spiral" of violence in the region.
Trump also praised protesters in Iran and warned Iranian officials not to use deadly force during the protests.
In August, a U.S. District Court judge ruled in favor of the plaintiffs in the case against Iran's government, saying that the evidence clearly showed material support for seven attacks against American service members flowed through Soleimani's Quds Force.
A special master will eventually recommend the amount of damages owed to each plaintiff.


More from News 12