Historic Smithtown Mansion at Ebo Hill gutted by flames
A historic mansion that was once owned by generations of Smithtown's founding family is a charred shell after burning to the ground in a raging fire Monday night.
The historical Ebo Hill house on Edgewood Avenue was built back in 1846. It's even listed in the Smithtown historical registry.
Richard Albano owned the piece of Smithtown history for 18 days before it was gutted by fire. The house built by the Smith family, the founders of Smithtown, burned to the ground in just two hours. Smithtown historian Brad Harris says it's a tough loss for the community.
Smithtown historian Brad Harris said the community was thrilled that Albano’s property was going to be renovated.
“He was making progress…Chance of that now is all gone. So we've lost another landmark in the Town of Smithtown,” said Harris.
On Facebook, Albano wrote, "The pain I feel at the loss of what would have been the most beautiful home in Smithtown is indescribable... I am devastated."
There was no one injured in the fire. Investigators are still looking into what sparked the blaze.