Gov. Cuomo confirms 5 new cases of coronavirus connected to New Rochelle case

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo confirmed Wednesday that there are four more cases of coronavirus in the state, bringing the total to at least six.

News 12 Staff

Mar 4, 2020, 2:15 PM

Updated 1,546 days ago

Share:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on Wednesday that five more people have tested positive for the coronavirus stemming from an attorney from New Rochelle.
He says a friend of the 50-year-old attorney, his wife, two sons and a daughter have the virus. Another daughter tested negative.
The total number of cases in New York is now 11. Gov. Cuomo made the announcement during his third news conference of the day.
Earlier, the governor announced that the attorney from New Rochelle is "now in stable condition and is improving." He had been hospitalized in serious condition at a Manhattan hospital just a day earlier. The attorney's wife, two children and a neighbor who also have the virus are being quarantined at home.
The Yeshiva University has confirmed one of its students, the attorney's son, was diagnosed with coronavirus. The school canceled all classes at the Wilf Campus in Washington Heights on Wednesday.
PHOTOS: The impact of the coronavirus around the world:
undefined
 
Gov. Cuomo says the 39-year-old woman, the first case in New York, is recovering at her home.
The attorney works at the firm Lewish and Garbuz. Gov. Cuomo says workers at the law firm are being tested for the virus. So far, no one has come back positive.
The attorney is one of six confirmed cases of the virus in New York. Those cases include his wife, two children and a neighbor. They are being quarantined at home.
Cuomo said Wednesday one coronavirus test came back negative from Suffolk.
Coronavirus Prevention: What you can do to protect yourself
The death toll for U.S. coronavirus patients hit 11 Wednesday, 10 of whom are from Washington. The CDC is also investigating a small group of patients with the coronavirus in California. They were passengers on a cruise ship that traveled to Mexico in February. That group included an elderly patient who died from the coronavirus. Officials say that person had underlying health conditions.
Vice President Mike Pence updated the numbers Wednesday evening, saying more than 100 Americans have been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
The federal government has reached an agreement to set aside $8.3 billion in funding to fight the virus. President Trump is expected to approve funds.


More from News 12