Dog owners: PetSmart chew toy led to $5,000 surgery

A Nesconset couple says a chew toy bought for their dog from PetSmart led to a $5,000 surgery for the pup.

News 12 Staff

Jan 14, 2019, 8:08 PM

Updated 1,959 days ago

Share:

A Nesconset couple says a chew toy bought for their dog from PetSmart led to a $5,000 surgery for the pup.
Jackie and Anthony Milo say they bought the Top Paw Tuff Stick with Rope at the Nesconset PetSmart for their 1-year-old dog Maggie for Christmas. Within seconds, they say Maggie detached the rope from the toy and swallowed it.
Maggie had to undergo a three-hour surgery that cost about $5,000 and spend two days in the animal hospital. They brought the dog to Animal Emergency Service in Selden.
The Milos then contacted PetSmart, asking for the toy to be removed from store shelves. They say a PetSmart manager told them the company would not cover the cost of the surgery.
News 12 went to the Nesconset PetSmart, where the product was still available for purchase. On the company's website, there were 13 reviews at the time of publication -- all of them negative.
A PetSmart spokesperson told News 12 in a statement: "While we are not aware of any similar complaints and have no current plans to remove this toy from our shelves, we will conduct a rigorous review of this product and take appropriate action if needed."
A spokesperson also says the pet owners need to monitor their pet’s usage of the product and remove the toy if it becomes damaged.
Maggie is doing much better following the surgery.


More from News 12