Charges dropped in Roosevelt deli assault case

? A grand jury Friday dismissed all charges against four Hispanic men accused of beating a black man outside a Roosevelt deli in March. Kevin Vargas, Jose Miguel Vargas, Persio Vargas and Juan Nunez

News 12 Staff

Apr 17, 2009, 11:55 PM

Updated 5,565 days ago

Share:

? A grand jury Friday dismissed all charges against four Hispanic men accused of beating a black man outside a Roosevelt deli in March.
Kevin Vargas, Jose Miguel Vargas, Persio Vargas and Juan Nunez had been charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon in the alleged assault on 52-year-old Darryl Jackson. According to the Nassau district attorney, a grand jury found no evidence of a hate crime and couldn't figure out who started the fight, so assault charges had to be dismissed.
The four men, one of which was an off-duty NYPD officer, were accused of beating Jackson outside the Midway Deli on March 9. The alleged incident sparked racial tension in the community. Meanwhile, Jackson says Friday?s decision makes him feel like a victim all over again. He insists the attack was racially motivated, saying the men told him to go back to Africa.
Jackson says he?s planning to call the U.S. Attorney?s Office to investigate the attack. He is still undergoing rehabilitation for his injuries.
Lawyers for the accused say the men are relieved their names have been cleared and that they were just defending themselves during the fight.


More from News 12