Bay Shore rooming house evacuated due to fire

Residents of a Bay Shore rooming house were forced to evacuate Friday morning when an ambulance crashed into a gas meter on the side of the home and sparked a fire. The emergency vehicle was at the North

News 12 Staff

May 9, 2008, 11:04 PM

Updated 5,913 days ago

Share:

Residents of a Bay Shore rooming house were forced to evacuate Friday morning when an ambulance crashed into a gas meter on the side of the home and sparked a fire.
The emergency vehicle was at the North Clinton Avenue home responding to a call about a resident having a seizure. Building owner Charlie Manolakos says the vehicle was either pulling off the property or arriving when the rearview mirror clipped the gas meter.
The entire side of the house has been boarded up and nearly 50 residents are displaced. Nearby shelters, as well as the Red Cross, are helping to accommodate those who have nowhere else to go. St. Patrick?s church is helping to provide food.
Islip town officials say they've been locked in litigation with building owners for a year and a half regarding smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. Officials recently hit the building owners with six more summonses and citations.


More from News 12