AG releases body cam video of October’s fatal officer-involved shooting in East Northport

The incident happened on Oct. 10 and resulted in the death of 54-year-old Alan Weber.

Jon Dowding

Nov 2, 2023, 9:21 PM

Updated 173 days ago


New York Attorney General Letitia James released body camera footage Thursday of a fatal officer-involved shooting that happened in East Northport.
The incident happened on Oct. 10 and resulted in the death of 54-year-old Alan Weber.
The video shows Suffolk County police officers asking Weber to put down fencing swords he was holding on to. The officer warned him that they were going to use a taser on him. When he did not stop, the officers tased him.
After being tased, Weber got up and started moving toward the officers. The officer then fired several rounds and Weber died from his injuries.
Police were originally called to the home when neighbors reported that Weber had been acting erratically, walking across their lawns the day the incident occurred. Neighbors previously reported to police that Weber would take their mail, as well as damage their cars and homes.
When the incident happened, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison said he believed the shooting was justified following review of the body camera video. Suffolk Police wouldn’t comment on the release of the video.
Some neighbors, who called police about Weber's erratic behavior that day, feel police actions were justified.
One neighbor, who asked to refer to her as “L” said she remembers hearing police come to the home several times that day.
“They tried to get him out earlier in the day. They tried to get him out peacefully,” she said. “If he had gone voluntarily with them, the outcome probably would have been different, but he just didn't cooperate."
L said she had been afraid for her and her children's safety for months after catching some odd and violent behavior from Weber on camera.
“The whole kicking of my door, going in my mailbox, and the last time, the day he died, I think he walked through my backyard to get to the neighbor next door,” she said.
She feels any mental health issues should have been addressed better.
“Mental health is a serious thing and people just willy-nilly don't care about it,” she said. “But you know, if he did, then maybe he would've been here."
Even though she doesn’t agree with what happened, she did share a sense of relief.
"Do I sleep at night? Better, a little bit,” she said. “I didn't want him to die. I just wanted him to be neighborly."
This investigation by the attorney general is standard protocol any time police fatally injure a civilian.

More from News 12