9 sickened by carbon monoxide in Baldwin

Authorities say that six adults and three children were hospitalized this morning after a carbon monoxide scare at their Baldwin home. The residents woke up at around 7 a.m. to a house full of smoke.

News 12 Staff

Nov 18, 2013, 4:13 AM

Updated 3,861 days ago

Share:


Authorities say that six adults and three children were hospitalized this morning after a carbon monoxide scare at their Baldwin home.

The residents woke up at around 7 a.m. to a house full of smoke. Fire crews arrived on the scene, and carbon monoxide fumes were detected.

Officials say it appears that the home's furnace had malfunctioned. Firefighters opened up all of the windows and set up fans to ventilate the home.

The family had shut off the emergency oil burner switch as they evacuated the home this morning, and officials believe that prevented a full-blown fire.

Authorities say that Long Islanders can prevent similar situations by getting their furnaces serviced by a professional, and by making sure that they have functioning fire and carbon monoxide detectors.


More from News 12