'We can do this safely.' - Bellone continues push for flag placement at Suffolk's national cemeteries
- Bellone says Suffolk takes honoring veterans seriously and that the public must be able to honor their sacrifice, even during a pandemic.
- Bellone says he sent a letter to the VA asking the agency to allow local national cemeteries to make the determination about group flag placements.
- VA response as per Newsday: “This year, by necessity, will be different from past Memorial Day observances,” VA Secretary Robert Wilkie said in a statement. “While the department can’t hold large public ceremonies, VA will still honor Veterans and service members with the solemn dignity and respect they have earned through their service and sacrifice.”
- Bellone: 223 more positive COVID-19 cases in last 24 hours.
- 37,942 total cases since pandemic began
- 8,878 have tested positive for antibodies, but didn't have a diagnostic test.
- 539 are currently hospitalized with the virus.40 discharged from hospital in last day.
- 24 Suffolk County residents died on Friday due to COVID-19. The death toll stands at 1,733.
- Bellone "did not see" President Trump's tweet about News 12's coverage of rally in Commack.
- The police will be prepared to obviously protect anyone who is threatened at a protest or a rally, Bellone says.
PHOTOS: Countries around the world cope with COVID-19