Potentially flesh-eating bacteria found in raw shellfish linked to 1 Suffolk death

The death in Suffolk County is still being investigated to determine if the bacteria was encountered in New York waters or elsewhere.

News 12 Staff

Aug 16, 2023, 6:25 PM

Updated 330 days ago

Share:

Vibriosis, a rare bacterial infection, has been identified in a Suffolk County individual who recently died, according to Gov. Kathy Hochul.
“While rare, the vibrio bacteria has unfortunately made it to this region and can be extraordinarily dangerous,” Hochul said. “As we investigate further, it is critical that all New Yorkers stay vigilant and take responsible precautions to keep themselves and their loved ones safe, including protecting open wounds from seawater and for those with compromised immune systems, avoiding raw or undercooked shellfish which may carry the bacteria.”
Infection with vibriosis can cause a range of symptoms when ingested, including diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting, fever and chills. Exposure can cause ear infections or sepsis.
The death in Suffolk County is still being investigated to determine if the bacteria was encountered in New York waters or elsewhere.
Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone released a statement that said, ““While we continue to investigate the source of this rare infection, it is important for residents to remain aware and vigilant on precautions that can be taken. As always, if any residents have health concerns, we encourage them to contact their health care provider.”


More from News 12