Vets warn pet owners about cannabis poisoning as drug becomes more available
Veterinarians say they are seeing an increase in pets accidentally ingesting cannabis as the drug becomes more readily available.
Pets being poisoned by marijuana products was up over 115% in 2021 and another 38% in 2022, according to New York vets.
Dr. Gabby Pimento, of Bond Vet, says curious animals are getting sick from eating cannabis products.
"They don't know portion control, which people are aware of those things, in terms of dosing but an animal just think it's a treat and they'll get into it and the hardest part is that we often don't know when it happened," Pimento says.
Veterinarians say things to watch out for in pets are dilated pupils, depression, lethargy, low heartbeat and dribbling urination.
Doctors recommend making sure all cannabis products are stored properly. Pet owners should also keep an eye on what their animals are ingesting outside in case someone improperly disposed of cannabis.
"We've seen some animals where the clients are like, 'I have no idea where it came from, we don't have it in the house,'" Pimento says. "So, there is a chance they could have gotten it outside."
Vets also say to watch out for edibles that contain chocolate and the artificial sweetener, Xylitol, which are toxic for pets.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, call your veterinarian immediately.