Town moves to stop non-violent minors from being housed at Mercy First

<p>The Town of Oyster Bay is taking legal action to prevent 16- and 17-year-old juvenile non-violent offenders from being housed at Mercy First in Syosset.</p>

News 12 Staff

Nov 25, 2018, 9:29 PM

Updated 2,470 days ago

Share:

The Town of Oyster Bay is taking legal action to prevent 16- and 17-year-old juvenile non-violent offenders from being housed at Mercy First in Syosset.
As News 12 has reported, it's all a part of the Raise The Age program that ensures that everyone under 18 is tried in family court for non-violent felonies. Previously, 16- and 17-year-olds could be tried in criminal court and sent to adult prisons.
Neighbors and local officials say the Mercy First has become a nuisance. They have sent News 12 videos of kids that they say are from Mercy First, trespassing on their property.
Oyster Bay Town Supervisor Joseph Saladino took to Facebook to post a message to constituents. It said in part, "A week ago, code enforcement officials visited Mercy First after learning of non-permitted construction taking place on the property. Inspectors issued notices of violation and stop work orders against the facility for commencing work-related to housing new detainees without town approval."
Nassau County Legislator Josh Lafazan believes the lawsuit is too little, too late.
Lafazan tells News 12 he's proposed a police outpost, paid for by Mercy First, on the property to keep kids from leaving. Legally, Mercy First staffers can't restrain minor residents to keep them from leaving campus.

Saladino says the lawsuit is just one tool in their arsenal, and that town officials are working to keep the community safe.
News 12 did reach out to Mercy First for comment about the lawsuit and was told no one was available for comment.