Sunrise Mall evacuated due to electrical fire

The Sunrise Mall in Massapequa was evacuated late Tuesday afternoon after a circuit breaker malfunctioned causing an electrical fire near JC Penney, police say.
Shoppers and store workers rushed for the exits after heavy smoke filled at least half of the two-story mall. Authorities say the fire broke out around 4 p.m. when the switch of the circuit breaker broke, causing an electrical surge. Emergency crews and fire trucks were at the scene.
The smoke was particularly heavy near the Mandee clothing store, where police say five store employees suffered smoke inhalation. One was taken to the hospital.
According to the fire chief, there are vents on the roof of the mall to help clear smoke in case of fire, but the vents malfunctioned. Many stores, especially some clothing shops, sustained smoke damage.