Police: Day care employee arrested for sexually abusing 10-year-old girl in Brentwood

Police say Reynaldo Estrada, an employee and husband of the owner of Little Lamb ABC Daycare, sexually abused the girl at the facility in August and September of 2020.

Jon Dowding

Mar 14, 2024, 3:44 PM

Updated 30 days ago

Share:

The husband of a Brentwood day care owner faces charges of sexually abusing a 10-year-old girl at the facility in 2020.
Suffolk police say 62-year-old Reynaldo Estrada abused the girl in August and September 2020 at the Little Lamb ABC Daycare.
Estrada was arraigned Thursday and didn’t take questions from News 12 after he made bail and was released. He faces two felony counts of sexual abuse and one count of endangering the welfare of a child.
Neighbors tell News 12 they’re shocked to hear about what happened.
“It’s something incredible to believe because I’ve known them for a long time,” said Evelin Baires, who lives close by.
Estrada’s wife owns the day care, which is run out of a home on Vanderbilt Avenue in Brentwood.
“The woman is always caring for the kids inside,” said Baires. “She never walks outside when the kids are there.”
News 12 found the day care received violations from the state last year. The Office Of Children And Family Services (https://hs.ocfs.ny.gov/DCFS/Profile/Index/841510) issued five violations to the daycare for issues like not conducting evacuation drills. All the violations have been corrected.
Police say the child who reported the incidents is now 13 years old. Police say she came forward following another incident of alleged abuse by Estrada that police say happened earlier this month. Detectives say there may be more victims.
Crime Victims Center Executive Director Laura Ahearn says parents should create a safe space for their children to speak up if they ever feel unsafe.
"Always encourage a dialogue about that, that these are your bathing suit areas,” she said. “No one is allowed to come into those areas of your body and if they do, you need to let me know."
A judge also issued a temporary order of protection and Estrada is due back in court on March 19th.
An attorney for Estrade provided a statement, saying “"The charges against Mr. Estrada are a complete shock. The preliminaries of this case reveal that authorities rushed to judgment. A proper investigation and full vetting of the facts, along with the reliability and credibility of what is being reported is going to determine Mr. Estrada committed no crime. He is a family man, a father, and he would never hurt any child. We look forward to clearing his name.”
Detectives are asking anyone with information on this case, or who believes their child may be a victim of Estrada to contact the Special Victims Section at 631-852-6531.


More from News 12