Officials: Child choked at unlicensed day care
The state is investigating a Hicksville day care center where a 2-year-old girl choked to death Tuesday after it found the facility wasn?t licensed to house toddlers.
Officials say the choking death was an accident and that staff members at the Carousel Day School did everything they could to save the girl. However, the New York State Office of Children and Family Services says the owner didn't have a license to operate a day care center inside the school.
Police say the girl got the baby carrot she choked on from a teacher?s bag. Eddie Borges, of the Office of Children and Family Services, says employees in licensed facilities are required to keep their personal bags out of children's reach.
Officials say the school is chartered and allowed to operate an educational facility, but it is not registered with the state. However, according to the state, it doesn't have to be registered because it's a non-public school. Therefore, state education inspectors aren?t required to make visits to the school or oversee its operations.
"No one's ever made a report to us, so unless someone calls us, we wouldn't know the program exists,? Borges says.
Experts say do research before picking day care
Office of Children and Family Services Child Care Nassau