NYC doctor to be released after Ebola recovery

New York health officials say a doctor who had Ebola has recovered and is scheduled to be released from the hospital Tuesday. The city Department of Health said Monday in a statement that Dr. Craig

News 12 Staff

Nov 11, 2014, 4:12 AM

Updated 3,480 days ago

Share:

NYC doctor to be released after Ebola recovery
New York health officials say a doctor who had Ebola has recovered and is scheduled to be released from the hospital Tuesday.
The city Department of Health said Monday in a statement that Dr. Craig Spencer "has been declared free of the virus."
Spencer tested positive for the virus Oct. 23, just days after returning from treating patients in Guinea with Doctors Without Borders.
News of Spencer's infection set many New Yorkers on edge, particularly after details emerged he rode the subway in the days before he tested positive.
The 33-year-old has been treated in a specially designed isolation unit at Manhattan's Bellevue Hospital. His condition was upgraded from serious to stable last week.
His fiancee and two friends were initially quarantined but were released and are being actively monitored along with hundreds of others.
News of Spencer's infection set many New Yorkers on edge, particularly after details emerged that the doctor rode the subways, dined in a meatball restaurant and visited a bowling alley in the days before he tested positive.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie responded by announcing a mandatory 21-day quarantine for travelers who have come in close contact with Ebola patients.
Health officials have stressed that Ebola is not airborne and can only be spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person who is showing symptoms.


More from News 12