Fumes force Brentwood evacuation, raise questions

The evacuation of a Brentwood house on Sunday due to fumes is raising questions about whether any codes were violated. Brentwood Fire Chief John Carney says firefighters, hazardous material crews and

News 12 Staff

Apr 8, 2007, 10:13 PM

Updated 6,317 days ago

Share:

The evacuation of a Brentwood house on Sunday due to fumes is raising questions about whether any codes were violated.
Brentwood Fire Chief John Carney says firefighters, hazardous material crews and ambulances responded to a call at the Walton Street home. Firefighters say fumes from spray-painted car parts were wafting through the ventilation from the garage. Firefighters also found high carbon monoxide readings in the basement, which is occupied by renters.
Authorities say six of the 16 people living in the home, including two infants, were taken to the hospital. They were complaining about feeling nauseated. Carney says they are in stable condition. The residents were allowed back into the house after it was ventilated and KeySpan turned off the gas.
The fire marshal and district attorney's office are investigating whether any fire codes were disobeyed, including whether too many people were living in the house.


More from News 12