Fire safety forum held at Highbridge school
Highbridge residents packed a Bronx fire safety forum Saturday on the two-year anniversary of a Woodycrest Avenue fire that killed 10 people.
Residents attended the forum, which was hosted by community leaders at P.S. 73, to grieve the lives lost, and educate themselves about fire safety to prevent future tragedies. Nine children were among the 10 people who died two years ago when an overheated cord of a space heater ignited what fire officials say was one of the deadliest fires in the Bronx.
Staff from the fire prevention education program, along with members of the police department and emergency management, distributed pamphlets on fire safety. Firefighters also held simulated fire demonstrations to show young children how to escape flames and smoke.
The forum featured an information fair, several fire safety demonstrations, prize giveaways and a memorial service to honor and remember the 10 victims of the Woodycrest Avenue fire. Community leaders say they hope residents will learn valuable safety lessons from the tragedy.