Fire officials: Hempstead apartment fire displaces nearly 50 families
Nearly 50 Long Island families were displaced by a fire that tore through a Hempstead apartment building.
The fire started around 3 a.m. on Clinton Street.
The fire marshal's office tells News 12 that 100 firefighters from nearly a dozen departments rushed to put the fire out.
Mike Pedemonte was able to run outside to try and help a woman who lives on the second-floor apartment where the fire started.
"I heard someone screaming out that window, like outside the window screaming, fire, fire, fuego, I'm burning," says Pedemonte.
Witnesses say a number of residents jumped onto cars below while firefighters were able to rescue at least 10 to 12 people who had come out onto their balconies.
Gregory Cherry says he used his flashlight to signal for help from his balcony. Cherry says his Air Force training saved him.
It's believed the fire started because of an unattended candle that was left burning.