DEC probe finds contractors improperly applied rat pesticide at Northport Village park
Some Suffolk County pet owners say they were stunned to learn that a dangerous rat pesticide was used at Northport Village Park.
One dog owner filmed an exchange with workers contracted by the village. In it, one of the workers says they are using a "rodenticide dust called Ditrac."
The other contractor in the video tells the person taking the video that "it's all very safe."
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Ditrac is hazardous to humans and domestic animals, and is extremely toxic.
The product is meant to be used only indoors and around buildings.
The DEC told News 12 it launched an investigation after getting a complaint about the Ditrac being used in Northport and found that the pesticide was applied improperly. The agency say that the contractors, TNR Exterminators, have no other violations on file over the last five years.
The contractor was fined and required to remove the rat poison.
Still, dog owners like Claudia Cositore want to know how long the village has allowed the contractor to use rat poison at the park.
"The contractor should have known better - that's their job," Cositore says.
She says her dog recently died unexpectedly of lung cancer and wonders if they have been applying other products that are toxic to pets.
Village Mayor Donna Koch says once the issue was brought to their attention, the areas were dug up and the soil was removed.
The village says it will continue to use the contractor despite the incident.