Dangerous chemical compound found in E. Quogue sample well
An East End community's drinking water may be contaminated with a dangerous chemical compound.
The compound PFC was detected in a sample well, south of a former landfill on Damascus Road in East Quogue. The site was also once used for fire training and is near a former landfill.
According to Newsday, the compound was detected at more than 150 times the acceptable level, which officials say can cause health problems.
"This chemical is something that is toxic," says Adrienne Esposito, of Citizens Campaign for the Environment. "It causes things like damage to the liver and to the kidneys and to the pancreas. It also can harm developing fetuses."
Residents say the findings have them afraid of the full extent of the contamination.
"This environment is supposed to be pristine," says Bill Kearns. "The East End is supposed to be pristine."
Southampton Town will be providing drinking water to homes with private wells.
"I didn't buy a house to have to drink out of bottles of water," Kearns says. "Do you pour the bottles of water over your head when you're showering?"
The town says the water is safe to bathe in. Anyone seeking free bottled water in the affected area can call Southampton Town Hall at 631-283-6055.