Conductors: Man banned from LIRR seen riding train again shortly after leaving court for violating ban
Conductors say a Huntington man who was banned from the LIRR was seen on the train again on Thursday.
Michael Harewood was the first person to be ordered not to ride the LIRR after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting an MTA transit worker in November.
Thursday marks the second time Harewood allegedly ignored the ban.
Harewood was in court Thursday afternoon for violating his two-year ban from the LIRR, but officials say after he got out of court in Central Islip, he went right back on the train.
Anthony Simon, of SMART Transit, says a conductor took a photo of Harewood at around 7:30 p.m. on a train refusing to pay his fare after an alert went out to all union members with his picture. He was then seen again on a second train at around 9:30 p.m.
"If he has a mental issue then get him the help that he needs before one day he snaps on a train and someone gets hurt seriously," Simon said.
According to MTA statistics over the last few years, assaults on transit workers have been low, with only one or two a month. It says harassment is slowly rising.
Simon, however, says the majority of crimes against transit workers are not reported.
Simon says he wants Harewood arrested again and banned for life on the LIRR to send a message to others.
Harewood had previously said he will using the bus from now on and won't be taking any more trains.
He is due back in court Dec. 15 on a trespassing and contempt of court charge for allegedly violating the ban.
There is no word on if he will face any additional charges.