CO poisoning kills Suffolk man, sends wife to hospital

Carbon monoxide poisoning is being blamed for the death of a Suffolk man.

News 12 Staff

Feb 21, 2019, 4:20 PM

Updated 1,918 days ago

Share:

CO poisoning kills Suffolk man, sends wife to hospital
Carbon monoxide poisoning is being blamed for the death of a Suffolk man.
A woman called police around 8:30 a.m. Thursday saying her mother and stepfather were sick at their home on Scott Drive in West Hills. The mother had said she was vomiting all morning and that her husband was unconscious. Dispatchers told the woman to pull the couple from the home, but she was unable to do so.
Stephen Yancofski, 55, was rushed to a Plainview hospital where he died. His wife, 59-year-old Kyriaki Bouziotas, was in serious condition at Nassau University Medical Center.
Neighbors remember Yancofski as an "awesome guy" who got neighbors "together like a fraternity."
Police say there were no working carbon monoxide detectors inside the home and that the amount of carbon monoxide was well-above the lethal level.
Suffolk Detective Lt. Kevin Beyrer says the leak came from a broken a pipe on the hot water heater in the basement.
The American Red Cross has some tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, including installing a carbon monoxide detector near bedrooms, testing it every month, having heating systems inspected annually and calling 911 if the detector goes off.


More from News 12